Friend and Foe in Equal Measure: Eating Disorders & Using EMDR in Treatment
Saturday April 27, 2019 | 0900 for 0930 – 1630
The Hostry, Norwich Cathedral, NR1 4DH
£55 for Association members, £60 for non-members. Fee includes lunch and refreshments.
EMDR Association UK&I CPD points applied for
The EMDR UK Association’s East Anglia regional group is especially pleased to welcome our Birmingham-based Consultant colleague Pam Virdi to Norwich Cathedral (fabulous venue!) to take us through how to use EMDR to treat eating disorders.
As EMDR Europe-accredited Consultant for nearly 10 years now, Pam has made a speciality of training EMDR for this very particular and at times challenging group of clients, and we’re in for an inspiring day.
The aim of the workshop is to help participants understand:
- What factors and influences shape the development and maintenance of eating disorders;
- Why understanding and working with ambivalence is essential to successful treatment;
- How to manage and minimise medical risk arising from disordered eating and compensatory behaviours;
- How to select appropriate targets for EMDR intervention and the adaptations that need to be made to the Standard Protocol;
- Use of the Addiction/Feeling State Protocols to work with eating disorder symptoms and behaviours and to neutralise inappropriate positive affect.
Learning Outcomes: Following the training day participants will:
- Understand key aspects of eating disorders, including ambivalence;
- Understand medical risk aspects of the various eating disorders and will know how to attend to these risks during treatment;
- Understand the adaptations that need to be made to the standard protocol for this client group with a clear rationale for these changes;
- Understand key aspects of psycho-education that may be needed as educational interweaves when processing is looping or blocked;
- Have practised preparing for blocks in the desensitisation phase where eating disorder myths often manifest as blocking beliefs.